2.25.2008

Bloom's Taxonomy * Native Son

Knowledge
Who did Bigger pull a knife out on?
- Bigger pulled a knife out on his friend Gus after they engaged in a verbal disagreement. Gus was pressuring Bigger into robbing Mr. Bloom.

Comprehension
Can you write in your own words what happened with the rat scene?
- In the rat scene, a rat was in Bigger's house. Since Bigger is the man of the house, he had to protect his mother and sister. Bigger and his brother attempted to kill the rat by throwing a skillet at the floor. The rat was too fast and almost made it back into it's hole but Bigger hit it just in time.

Application
What questions would you ask of Gus peer pressuring Bigger into robbing another man?
- The questions I have for Gus about peer pressuring Bigger are examples such as, why did all Bigger's others friends agree with Gus?, if Bigger wanted to be so 'bad' then why was he denying the offer?, did Gus have a previous relationship with robbing someone?, and lastly, how did he come up with such a
conniving plan?.

Analysis
What was the problem with Bigger's housing conditions?
- The problem with Bigger's housing conditions were the harsh and dirty small area he and other people had to live in. The small apartment was rodent infested and occupied by four people, but most likely only had one bedroom. They didn't have much money so they lived in a violence surrounding neighborhood. There wasn't much safety in a place like this.

Synthesis
Can you see a possible solution to Bigger's lifestyle?
- So far Bigger Thomas has a troubled life. He lives in a small apartment with a couple of family members. There is clearly not enough room for a growing teenage boy. His neighborhood is trashy, filled with polution and his neighbor's aren't quite what you would call classy. He is surrounded by drugs, violence and most people who don't have father's.

A possible solution to Bigger's lifestyle would him to strive to achieve over the possibility's of his neighborhood and to create his own standards. He would have to believe in himself. He could get his education and plan to succeed in the future. Bigger wouldn't have to rob someone to get what he wanted. Bigger is resting on the expectations given to him from the soceity as a poor African American boy. The odds aren't for him to go to any further than the streets by soceity. If he went above and beyond he could pass school and get a job. Since he would be the oddball out it would be easy for him to get scholarships.

Bigger's lifestyle could be shot down if he falls into the traps of his peer pressuring 'friends'. He is the man of his household and needs to get a job to support his family. He should be a good role model, finish school and get a good job. It's not easy, but neither is life, you have to just deal with the bad and not let it drag you down.

Evaluation
How would you feel if a friend pressured you into robbery?
- If a friend tried pressuring me into robbing someone, I probably wouldn't fall for it. I am a strong a person and I don't usually do what other people say. I do what I want, when I want, no hesitation.

While a friend was pressuring me, I would feel betrayed. Betrayed because after I said no then that should be the end of the story. My real friend would understand that and not want to push me into anything I wouldn't want to do. I would also feel set up because what if we get caught? That's like my friend is telling me to do wrong, telling me to get locked up.

Your real friends want the best for you and they want you to succeed in life. It doesn't matter if they have nothing ahead of you then they wouldn't drag you down with them. I would reevaluate who were my friends and how much I mean to them.

Obviously, Gus wasn't Bigger's great friend if he was so mad when Bigger wouldn't take the fall with him. Yes, a friends suppposed to back you up in what you do but not when it would mess up both of your futures. Bigger and Gus would be just another statistic.







No comments: